Untitled Document
  Marriage & Registration in Thailand                                                                                                            


Marriage in Thailand by non-Thai couples or Thai National and Foreigner couple is easy to arrange and can be quickly accomplished. The legal marriage registration can be done at any district office in Thailand on any working day between 8.00 a.m. to 3.30 p.m

To marry you need passports and proof that you are single. If you have previously been married which ended in divorce or death you need the original certificated. If never been married you need to show the Ministry of Foreign Affairs a statutory statement of non-attachment notarized by your embassy in Bangkok or Pattaya or Phuket. Your embassy may require proof of evidence to this fact.

A statutory statement required by the Thai authorities will cost 1,000-3,000 THB each (Up to your Embassy). Your embassy will normally charge a fee for notarizing it and the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs makes a nominal charge for registering it and issuing a certificate or enable you to legally marry anywhere in Thailand. A further fee will be required to have the document officially translated into Thai.

Special attention should be made about pre-marriage planning. Assets of the foreigner should be protected. A prenuptial agreement is highly recommended and should be made before marriage

Prenuptial agreements should be prepared in both the Thai and English languages. If, for example, the foreigner is a US Citizen with assets in USA and Thailand, the prenuptial agreement should be prepared in such a manner that it is recognized and legally binding in both USA and Thailand. Prenuptial agreements are less likely to be contested when prepared and signed well in advance of the marriage date.

To marry you need passports and proof that you are single. We offer complete legal services for marriage registration: Collecting and notarization of Embassy documents (Affirmation or Affidavit of Freedom to Marry).Translation of affirmation or Affidavit documents in the Thai language.Submitting documents to the Thai Ministry of Foreign AffairsRegister the Marriage at the District office (Amphur) PROCEDURE

The Thai marriage can be solemnized with or without a Betrothal Ceremony in a ritual manner and also through court. The betrothal ceremony is nothing but a promise to marry and in the form of an agreement. The agreement is effective only when the man gives engagement property to the women as evidence. The injured party is entitled to claim damages in the event of a breach of the betrothal agreement.


The man and woman who are wishing to marry should have the following eligibility to get married: Either of them should not be less than 17 years of age. The Court may, in case of having an appropriate reason, allow them to marry before attaining such age. Either of them should not be an insane person or adjudged incompetent. Both of them should not be in blood relations in the direct ascendant or descendant line, or brother or sister of full or half blood i.e. should no be within the prohibited degrees of relationship. Both of them should not have the same adoptive parents. Either of them should not have a spouse at the time of marriage. If women whose husband died or from such death or termination of marriage, but before such period if 5.1 A child has been born during such period.5.2 The divorced couple remarry.5.3 There is a certificate. Issued by a qualified doctor who is a lawful physical practitioner in medicine showing that the women are not pregnant.5.4 There is an order of the Court allowing the woman to marry. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED


The bride and bridegroom who are wishing to marry should possess or arrange the following documents prior to their marriage so as to furnish on demand by the authority solemnizing the marriage at the time of marriage: Identification cards of both parties. Person filing has previously registered a marriage - If divorced, proof of divorce must be shown; in the event of spousal death (the application is a widow or widower) proof must accompany the application. Accompanied by witnesses FOREIGNERS copy of their passport along with arrival cardAffidavit regarding the marital status of the person from the respective embassy. Translated copy of affidavits to Thai certified by an approved Foreign Ministry Translator. MARRIAGE REGISTRATION marriage can take place on the declaration made by both the parties intending to marry by giving consent to take each other as husband and wife publicly before the registrar in order to have it recorded by the Registrar. Giving consent to the marriage may be made. By affixing signature of the person giving consent in the Register at the time of registration of the marriage; By a consent document stating the names of the parties to the marriage and signed by the person giving consent; By verbal declaration before at least two witnesses in case of necessity. The consent having been given cannot be revoked. An application for registration for marriage can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple

If the marriage for registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Office. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office or Minor District, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of the District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. An Express service fee of 800 THB is required by the Ministry

Marriage shall be affected only on registration being made. After registration is completed, a Marriage Registration Certificate to be obtained as evidence


The foreigners who are wishing to marry shall appear in person with their respective passports and arrival card at their embassy in Thailand to complete declarations attesting that he/she is single and free to marry in accordance with Thai Law and the registration shall be effected by a Thai diplomatic or consular officer.

I, take the completed declaration to a reputable translation office to have the contents of the declaration translated into Thai.

The documents together with translation and copies of passports have to be taken to the Legalization Division of Consular Affairs Department, where the Consular Official's signature will be authenticated. This normally takes 2 days or Express service take a day but apply document, not over 12.00 a.m. The documents and translation are then ready for submission to the District Registrar who will register the marriage and issue the marriage certificate in Thai in accordance with and following the procedure led down in Thai Law

Information for American Citizens 

A Legal marriage in Thailand consists of both parties registering their marriage in person with the local Thai Amphur (Civil Registry Office). The United States does recognize the validity of such a marriage.

A. To marry a Thai citizen you must follow these steps:

Complete an affidavit at the American Embassy. The affidavit form, available upon request, includes all of the information required by relevant Thai Law. The form must be completed and notarized at the Embassy.         

2. Has the completed affidavit translated?          

3. Take the affidavit and translation to:       

Legalization Division

Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.                   

3rd Floor, 123 Chaeng Wattana Road, Tung Song Hong, Laksi District, Bangkok 

Tel. (02) 575-1057-8 / Fax: (02) 575-1054          

4.  Take the affidavit and supporting documents to a local Amphur and register yourselves as married

The Amphur will also require the following documents:          

(a) Your American passport;          

(b) The Thai citizen’s identification card;          

(c) If either party is under the age of twenty, written permission from the parents (with Thai translation);          

(d) If either you or your fiance(e) have been previously married the Amphur will want to see proof that prior marriages have been terminated; either divorce or death certificates. These documents if available should be translated into Thai prior to presentation at the Amphur                                         

Do you need a list of documents and service charge? Please request to